Wednesday, 5 September 2012

A weekend at the Paralympics

I spent the weekend in London with Ben to celebrate his 27th birthday and surprised him with tickets to the Paralympics. We had such a great time! I absolutely love attending live sport events, but it never really occurred to me that it would be possible to get tickets to the Games. Booking them turned out to be quite an easy process though and they weren't particularly expensive either, which is probably why London 2012 are the first ever sold out Paralympic Games.
I already mentioned some of the fantastic ads that ran on British television here, but to see these amazing athletes live was such a treat. We started the day watching a few table tennis matches and then walked into an arena where Germany was playing Russia in sitting volleyball. (Germany won, yey!)
In the afternoon, we met up with friends to see the judo competitions. We had been watching for about 30 minutes when I suddenly started wondering what these athletes' disabilities were. We observed the scene for another while before we realised that they were either blind or partially sighted! I couldn't believe we hadn't noticed until then! 
The atmosphere was absolutely brilliant, and the venues really fun and futuristic. Here are a few snapshots:

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time. Visiting London is definitely on my list, I hope I can make it happen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I was in London between the Olympics and the Paralympics and the Olympic village was really cool. I wish I had taken the time to organise tickets to something!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!
(Comments are moderated & will not appear until after approval).